Are you looking for the best scooter in India? There are many to choose from an ever-increasing lineup of scooters in the two-wheeler market.
Scooters are becoming a part of almost every Indian household as all members who know how to ride a two-wheeler can easily ride them.
Two decades back, scooters held a special place in a typical Indian household. They were ubiquitous in the late 90s before the advent of commuter motorcycles. But they were heavy vehicles with gears.
The two-stroke engines also made noise and guzzled more fuel. After the popularity of bikes, their numbers dwindled.
But the introduction of compact and gearless scooters (or scooty, as they have been known since) brought them back to every household.
They are easy and comfortable to ride, with automatic gear transmission and give good fuel efficiency. In this article, we list the eight best scooters in India. All the prices are in ex-showroom, Mumbai.
Top 8 Scooters in India
1. Honda Activa 6G
The Honda Activa 6G is one of the best-selling scooters in India and is undoubtedly a household name. It is the upgraded version of the Activa line-up of scooters and is considered the best Indian market.
It has four variants—
- Activa 6G STD priced at Rs. 70,703,
- Activa 6G 20th Year Anniversary Edition priced at Rs. 72,203,
- Activa 6G Deluxe priced at Rs. 72,449 and
- Activa 6G 20th Anniversary Edition DLX priced at Rs. 73,949.
The scooter gets powered by a 109.51cc fan-cooled four-stroke spark-ignition BS6-compliant engine. It churns out a maximum power of 5.73kW (7.68bhp) at 8000rpm and a peak torque of 8.79 Nm at 5250rpm.
It is also one of the best mileage scooters, with a fuel efficiency of 55-60 km/l. It can travel at a top speed of 85 km/h.
It has six colour options—Black, Dazzle Yellow Metallic, Glitter Blue Metallic, Matte Axis Grey Metallic, Pearl Precious White and Pearl Spartan Red.
What makes Honda Activa 6G the best scooter in India?
- Its utility and economy
- Its reliable engine
- It gives great mileage
- Solid brand image
- A scooter for everyday ride
- Its reasonable price-tag
2. TVS Jupiter
TVS Jupiter is second on the list of the best scooter in India due to its overall performance, mileage, and sales volume. The first model of the scooter got rolled out in September 2013; it has remained among the top five scooters in the domestic market.
The Jupiter comes in five variants—
- Jupiter SMW at Rs. 67,291,
- Jupiter BS6 at Rs. 69,016,
- Jupiter ZX at Rs. 73,441,
- Jupiter Classic at Rs. 77,211, and
- Jupiter ZX Disc at Rs. 77,241.
The scooter gets powered by a 109.7 cc four-stroke, air-cooled, single-cylinder CVTi fuel injection engine that can churn out the maximum power of 7.47 PS @ 7000 and a peak torque of 8.4 Nm @ 5500 rpm.
It gives 66.7 km/l mileage and can achieve a top speed of 85 km/h on full throttle.
It is available in seventeen different colour options—Metallic Silver, Metallic Titanium Grey, Royal Wine, Starlight Blue, Matte Silver, Volcano Red, Matte Blue, Midnight Black, Mystic Gold, Pristine White, Titanium Grey, Walnut Brown, Autumn Brown, Indi Blue, and Sunlit Ivory.
What makes TVS Jupiter the second-best scooter in India?
- Its punchy engine gives good performance
- It provides incredible ride quality
- The price tag is competitive
- Highest range of colour options and five variants to choose from
- Improved mileage
3. Suzuki Access 125
Apart from Honda Activa, Suzuki Access 125 was the best scooter in India 2020 due to strong sales and great demand. One of the most striking things about the scooter is its number of variants.
It has seven variants—
- Access 125 STD priced at Rs. 74,270,
- Access 125 Drum Cast priced at Rs. 75,971,
- Access 125 Drum Cast Special Edition priced at Rs. 77,670,
- Access 125 Disc CBS priced at Rs. 77,971,
- Access 125 Disc CBS Special Edition priced at Rs. 79,671,
- Access 125 Drum Alloy Bluetooth priced at Rs. 81,471 and
- Access 125 Disc Alloy Bluetooth priced at Rs. 83,472.
Powering the scooter is a 124cc BS6 powertrain mated to a CVT gearbox that churns out a maximum power of 8.7 bhp at 6,750rpm and a peak torque of 10.2 Nm at 5,000rpm.
The scooter gives a fuel efficiency of 64 km/l and can clock at a top speed of 90-92 km/h.
It is available in nine colours options—Blue, Fibroin Grey, Glass Black, Greenish Blue, Matte Red, Metallic Black, Pearl White, Platinum Silver and Pearl White.
What makes Suzuki Access 125 the third-best scooter in India?
- Suzuki’s brand value
- Best in class performance in the 125cc segment
- It comes with the highest variants
- A wide colour range to choose from
- It gives a comfortable riding posture and quality
4. Hero Pleasure Plus BS6
Starting from Rs.60,500, Hero Pleasure Plus BS6 is one of the best-selling scooters in the Indian market. It comes in three variants—
- Pleasure Plus FI Sheet Metal Wheel 110.9 cc at Rs.60,500,
- Pleasure Plus FI Alloy Wheel 110.9 cc Rs.62,850, and
- Pleasure Plus Platinum 110.9 cc at Rs.64,950.
Powering the scooter is a 110.9cc single-cylinder, air-cooled engine mill that can generate a maximum power of 8 BHP at 7,000 rpm and a peak torque of 8.7 Nm @ 5000 rpm.
The fourth top scooty in India gives a mileage of 63 km/l and can achieve a top speed of 78 km/h.
It is available in eight colour options—Midnight Black, Pole Star Blue, Pearl Silver White, Matte Vernier Grey, Matte Metallic Red, Matte Green, Matte Black and Sporty Red.
Why is Hero Pleasure Plus BS6 is the fourth-best scooter in India?
- Affordable price
- Hero’s engine and performance
- Good mileage
- Lightweight and easy to manoeuvre
- It comes with alloy wheels option
- IS equipped with many features such as Bluetooth connectivity
5. Yamaha Fascino 125
Yamaha Fascino 125 gained popularity in the Indian scooter market in no time. It initially got launched in 2015, and since then, it has recorded robust sales and increasing demand.
It comes in six variants—
- Fascino 125 Drum priced Rs. 73,979,
- Fascino 125 Hybrid Drum priced at Rs. 74,673,
- Fascino 125 DLX Drum priced at Rs. 74,979,
- Fascino 125 Disc priced at Rs. 76,479,
- Fascino 125 DLX Disc priced at Rs. 77,479 and
- Fascino 125 Hybrid Disc priced at Rs. 79,479.
The scooter gets powered by a 125cc fuel-injected engine mated to a CVT gearbox. The engine churns out a maximum power of 8.2PS at 6500rpm and a peak torque of 10.3Nm at 5000rpm.
The scooter delivers good performance along with good fuel efficiency. The 125cc vehicle gives a 58-63 km/l mileage and can achieve a top speed of 85 km/h.
It is available in nine colour options—Cool Blue, Cyan Blue, Matte Blue, Metallic Black, Yellow Cocktail, Vivid Red, Vivid Red Hybrid and Matt Black.
Why Yamaha Fascino 125 is the fifth-best scooter in India?
- Powerful 125cc engine
- Great style and looks
- It gives a decent fuel efficiency
- Good built and suspension system
- It comes in six variants and nine colour options
6. Piaggio Vespa VXL 125
Piaggio Vespa VXL 125 is a premium scooter with a classic look and design. It looks like a vintage Italian scooter and is popular among lovers of retro two-wheelers.
The scooter comes in three variants—
- VXL 125 BS-VI priced at Rs. 1,11,472,
- VXL 125 Facelift priced at Rs. 1,16,216 and
- VXL 125 75th Anniversary Limited Edition priced at Rs. 1,27,761.
A 125cc fuel-injected single-cylinder powertrain powers the scooter. The engine churns out a maximum power of 9.7bhp @ 7,500 rpm and a peak torque of 9.6Nm @ 5,500 rpm.
The mileage is 45-55 km/l, and the top speed is 90 km/h.
The two-wheeler is available in eight colour options—Yellow Matt, Black, Maze Grey, White, Azzurro Provenza, Vibrant Red, Vibrant Pink and Glossy Metallic Giallo.
Why Piaggio Vespa VXL 125 is the sixth-best scooter in India?
- Its vintage looks and design
- Powerful and torquey 125cc engine
- Good overall performance
- Excellent braking system
- It comes with three variants and eight colour options
7. Aprilia SR125
Aprilia SR125 is one of the most sporty and muscular scooters in the Indian market. It looks like a true-blue vehicle from the stable of sports bike maker Aprilia, which makes it appealing to young riders.
It comes in two variants—
- SR 125 BS-VI – FI priced at Rs. 97,267 and
- SR 125 Facelift priced at Rs. 99,623.
Powering the scooter is a 124.45cc BS6 engine that can produce a maximum power of 9.78 bhp at 7,700rpm and a peak torque of 9.7 Nm at 6,000rpm.
It has a fuel efficiency of 40 km/l and can travel at a top speed of 90 km/h.
It is available in three colour options— Blue, Yellow and Silver.
Why is Aprilia SR125 on the list of the best scooty in India?
- Aprilia’s brand image
- Among the few scooters with such edgy looks and style
- Excellent handling characteristics
- Great braking capabilities
- Powerful engine
- Disc brake at the front
8. TVS Scooty Pep Plus
The list is incomplete without TVS Scooty Pep Plus, one of the first compact scooters in the Indian market. It is an extension of TVS Scooty that got launched in 1996. It remained the top scooty in India for many years.
It comes in two variants—
- Scooty Pep Plus Glossy for Rs. 55,712 and
- Scooty Pep Plus Matte Edition for Rs. 58,562.
It gets powered by a BS6 87.8 cc fuel-injected engine mated to a CVT gearbox, which can churn out a max power of 5.43PS at 6500rpm and peak torque of 6.5Nm at 3500rpm.
The scooter gives a mileage of 60-68 km/l and achieves a top speed of 70-74 km/h.
It is available in eight colour options—Frosted Black, Nero Blue, Princess Pink, Revving Red, Glittery Gold, Aqua Matte, Coral Matte, and Mudhal Kaadhal Edition (available only in Tamil Nadu at an ex-showroom price of Rs. 60,025).
Why is TVS Scooty Pep Plus here on the list of best scooters in India?
- It is the most affordable scooty in the Indian market
- It is the lightest scooter
- It gives the highest mileage
- An efficient BS6 engine powers it
- It comes in eight colour options
With this, we cover the eight best scooters in India. Being a complete family vehicle, these two-wheelers can get ridden by almost all household members (that is, anyone who knows how to ride a gearless two-wheeler). Their efficiency and economy make them practical and useful for everyday commute and short distance travel.
All the ones listed here are the best-selling products of their respective manufacturers and have gained enormous popularity over the years since they rolled out. When it comes to price, they start from a little over Rs. 55,000 and range up to nearly Rs. 1.28 lakhs.
We would recommend you set a budget before making any purchasing decision. And when it comes to choosing any scooters, look in that price range.
Which of the above scooters is the most affordable one?
Starting at Rs. 55712, TVS Scooty Pep Plus is the most affordable among all
Which of the above scooters generates the highest power?
Aprilia SR125 generates a maximum power of 9.78 bhp, which is the highest among all.
Which of the scooters can attain the highest speed?
Suzuki Access can achieve a top speed of up to 92 km/h, the highest among all.
Which of the scooters in India has the highest variants?
Suzuki Access 125 comes in seven variants.
Which of the scooters comes with the widest range of colours?
TVS Jupiter BS6 comes in 17 different colours.
Which of the scooters has the highest warranty?
TVS Jupiter comes with a warranty of five years or 60,000 km, whichever comes earlier.